Published on November 2nd, 2015 | by Kim Stiglitz0
25 Holiday Email Subject Lines That Shine
The day after Halloween officially marks the start of holiday shopping season. It also means you can expect your inbox to start filling up with holiday-themed emails.
Why does it seem that holiday emails are sent earlier and earlier every year? One of the main reasons is that Christmas-themed and holiday season emails typically have higher open rates when sent weeks (or even months!) earlier than their intended target holiday time period.
According to a 2014 survey published by Marketing Profs, holiday email open rates begin to spike in October as major retailers and agencies kick off their campaigns and peak in the middle of December.
To get you in the holiday swing of things, here are 25 of our favorite holiday email subject lines that have stood out in our inboxes over the years – use them for inspiration as you plan your campaigns:
1. Warby Parker: Cozy up
2. VerticalResponse: Are Your Holiday Cards in the Mail Yet? Get 60% Off!
3. WillCall: Hey, we made you something for the holidays!
4. Chasing Fireflies: Our magical Holiday Gift Shop is open + Save up to 80% in our Halloween Blowout Sale!
5. Shutterfly: We’re feeling very merry. Get 50% off your order.
6. Omaha Steaks: Wanna get the REALLY good holiday deals this year?
7. Uncommon Goods: The Time Has Come
8. Real Simple: 10 DIY Fall Wreaths That Are Way Better Than a Welcome Mat
9. BevMo!: NEW for November! Delicious Wines for the Fall Season.
10. Workshop: FALL STEAM AHEAD: Over 80 classes up & posted, Oktoberfest weekend workshops & CAMP DIY
11. Kabuki Springs & Spa: 3 Tips to Boost Your Immune System this Fall
12. Alternative: First look | Alternative Gift Guide
13. Finish Line: The Holiday Gift Guide is here. Game on for gift giving.
14. Kayak: Waiting for lower Thanksgiving flight prices? Stop and book.
15. Premier Dermatology: Day of Beauty: Winter 2014
16. Paper Culture: Need Holiday Photo Card Ideas?
17. Tory Burch: Presenting: Tory’s Gift Guide
18. Zazzle Inc: Early Birds Save 50% On All Ornaments & Mugs + 20% Off Everything Else
19. Circus Center: PERFORM in our 2014 Holiday Student Gala!
20. Turntable Kitchen: get ready for holiday entertaining: recipes, cocktails, music recommendations
21. Groupon: Get a Head Start on Your Holiday Checklist
22. Travel Channel: Travel’s Best Holiday Attractions 2014
23. JetBlue Airways: A sale to escape the winter weather!
24. Bing Webmaster Team: It’s not too late: Reach more holiday shoppers with your $100 coupon
25. Harry & David: Kim, get a jump on holiday shopping with your Gift History and enjoy free shipping.
Create endless email subject lines for any occasion with our Holiday Subject Generator!
Successful holiday email subject lines
As you can see, many of the email subject lines target early bird shoppers looking for gift ideas (gift guides) and getting prepped for the holidays. Focus your holiday email subject lines not only on offering deals and promotions like free shipping and discounts, but also on solving your customers’ problems through gift guides, tips, ideas, extended or special shopping hours, etc.
To give you an idea of the most effective subject line words from holiday emails, we created this holiday email subject line infographic:
You can create and send all your holiday emails for free using VerticalResponse. Get started today!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on November 10th, 2014 and has been revamped and updated for relevance.
© 2015, Kim Stiglitz. All rights reserved.