Published on June 17th, 2013 | by Kim Stiglitz0
Facebook Hashtags Have Arrived
Image courtesy of Facebook & the NBA
Following a conversation on Facebook is now a little easier thanks to the introduction of clickable hashtags. Doesn’t sound very revolutionary considering hashtags have been around on Twitter for a while, but according to Facebook’s blog, “Hashtags will be clickable on Facebook. Similar to other services like Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, or Pinterest, hashtags on Facebook allow you to add context to a post or indicate that it is part of a larger discussion. When you click on a hashtag in Facebook, you’ll see a feed of what other people and Pages are saying about that event or topic.”
Using a clickable hashtag on Facebook is as easy as adding a # in front of the topic or phrase you want to use (do not put a space between the # and the word, for example #skadeedle). When someone clicks on a hashtag in a Facebook post, they’ll see a feed of posts that have been shared with that same hashtag.
Hashtagging Tips For Business
Using hasthags is really easy, but there are a few basic guidelines to get the most out of them including:
- Use an original hashtag. If you pick one that’s already in use it will be hard to find your content in the mix.
- Use your hashtag across all your marketing and social networks. Feature it in your email marketing, on your website, use it on Twitter, etc.
- Keep it short and relevant. Your fans and friends shouldn’t need a decoder ring to figure out what your hashtag means.
- Make your posts public. The whole point of using a hashtag is to make the post discoverable by Facebook users, so make them public so everyone can see them.
- If you’re using Facebook ads, use hashtags in those, as well.
Hashtags are currently only available to a small amount of Facebook users, but keep your eyes peeled in the next few weeks as Facebook rolls them out to general access.
How will you use #hashtags on Facebook for your biz? Let us know in the comments.
© 2013, Kim Stiglitz. All rights reserved.