Published on May 21st, 2013 | by Kim Stiglitz2
6 Ways to Improve Your Facebook EdgeRank
Did you know that just because you post something to your businesses Facebook page, doesn’t mean all your fans will see it? This is due to Facebook EdgeRank. Wikipedia defines EdgeRank as,”the algorithm that Facebook uses to determine what articles should be displayed in a user’s News Feed.” This mysterious algorithm is made up of three components: Affinity, Weight and Time Decay. If it sounds like a flashback to your high school physics class, you’ll be relieved to hear it’s not as complex as it sounds and the most important thing is understanding how to improve yours.
According to the folks at PostRocket, there are 6 easy ways you can get your posts seen by more of your fans:
- Shorter is Better – post between 100-250 characters get 60% more engagement than those over 250 characters.
- A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words – Images and videos garner 100-120% more engagement than posts without them.
- Just Ask – Asking your fans for their opinion, or a question garners 90% more engagement than the average post.
- Be Useful – You’ll be more successful on Facebook if you provide useful and relevant content to your fans without the selly-sell. Tips, how-tos, recipes, advice, it’s all fair game.
- The Time is Now – There is no one-size-fits-all answer for the best times to post on Facebook as it depends on who your fans are. Does your company target 18-24 year old males? They may be most active on Facebook at 11 pm, but the maternity store down the street will most likely have a much different ideal time to post.
- Do It Daily – Posting engaging content on a daily basis is the best way to have a chance to get on the News Feeds of your fans. Remember, most folks see your posts within their News Feeds, not on your Business Page.
PostRocket also created this super-useful infographic which breaks down EdgeRank into easy-to-understand language. We think you’ll like it.
© 2013, Kim Stiglitz. All rights reserved.